Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Brush Embroidery Granny Cookies Tutorial

I was asked to bake something for a recent benefit bake sale for a little girl that has a severe medical condition.  The proceeds went towards paying for her medical bills, so I figured I'd make something fancy looking that might make a few more dollars for a worthy cause.  I've been wanting to try out the brush embroidery technique and thought this would be the perfect time to try!  I like how they turned out.  I thought of naming them "Granny Cookies" because they look like something a granny would eat with a cup of tea.  :)
Here are my finished cookies and a step by step of how I did them.


Step 1:  I iced some sugar cookies with royal icing and let them sit for a few hours until firm.  I also added a white pearl border.


Step 2:  Pipe a flower outline onto the cookie.  Don't worry about it looking perfect here, it can be pretty sloppy and still be redeemed.  :)  You can do one flower in the center or make some hanging off the edges like this.


Step 3:  Take a small paint brush (used only for food, of course) and dip it in a small bowl of water nearby.  Dab the brush on a paper towel to get the excess water off.  Then brush the icing on your flower outline in toward the center to make petals.


Step 4:  After brushing the outer petals, pipe in two or three more petals in the center and repeat step 3 on those petals.

Step 5:  Add a dot to the center of your flower and also around the flowers if you'd like.


And that's it!  I put these in twos in clear plastic bags and tied with ribbon to make them even cuter.  This was time consuming to make 40 cookies, but sooo easy!  Try it!




3 comments:

  1. Great pictures and info! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh love the technique! I really appreciate the detail and the step by step process.. purdy purply cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. tq for sharing the technique! really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!