So we're on this low carb diet and it's driving me mad! Meals consist of a protein and some veggies. This can be great, but it can also get mighty monotonous and boring. So I'm continuously looking for low carb meals that are different and ones that make me feel like I'm cheating when I'm not! Here is the latest one I tried - low carb BREADED chicken parm! Only the breading isn't actually bread. It's parmesan cheese and almond flower mixed together and then coated on the chicken. This was quite good. The only difference was the breading didn't get as crunchy as a bread crumb coating, but I'll take it! Plus, once you throw sauce over it, the breading tends to get soggy anyway. So without further ado, the lineup...
Low Carb Chicken Parmesan - Serves 2
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup almond flower
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (I used Mrs. Dash and it was perfect)
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup tomato sauce - try to find one that isn't too high in carbs
1/2 cup mozzerella cheese
Additional parmesan cheese for sprinkling
1. Coat the bottom of a meduim sized skillet with olive oil and heat to medium/medium-high. Also, preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Cut your chicken breasts in twos or threes and pound out each piece so they are all of equal thickness - about 1/2 inch. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the chicken
3. On a small plate, crack the egg and scramble it with a fork
4. On another plate, mix together the parmesan cheese, almond flour, and italian seasoning
5. Dip each chicken piece into the egg so that it is coated thououghly
6. Then place each chicken piece in the cheese/almond mixture and turn until it is totally coated and breaded on all sides
7. Sautee the chicken in the hot olive oil for about 4 minutes a side or until the coating is browned, but not burned!
8. Place your chicken pieces in a casserole dish and spoon a small amount of tomato sauce over each. Then top with some grated mozzerella and parmesan cheeses.
9. Bake at 375 or until the cheese is melted
Serve this with a side of veggies or salad instead of pasta and you will be in low carb heaven! :)